- This event has passed.
CBT for Anxiety in the Digital Age
November 25, 2019 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Full Course Name: CBT for Anxiety in the Digital Age: Resources to Enhance Your Clinical Practice and Improve Client Engagement
Date: November 25, 2019
Time: 12:00PM to 2:00PM Pacific Standard Time (PST)
Credits: Participants will be provided with a certificate for 2 CE credits upon completion of this program.
The workshop will include the following:
- Overview of the emerging role and effectiveness of digital technology in enhancing psychological treatments.
- Overview of key digital resources developed by Anxiety Canada, which are based on empirically-supported cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT) strategies.
- Review of Anxiety Canada’s new free on-line self-help anxiety management course, My Anxiety Plan (MAP), for parents and adults, which includes lessons on relaxation and mindfulness, healthy/balanced thinking, and facing fears.
- Review of the tools and features of the newest version of Anxiety Canada’s free MindShift CBT app, a comprehensive and user-friendly anxiety management resource that includes psycho-education, relaxation/mindfulness tools, cognitive strategies (e.g., thought records, belief/behavioural experiments), and behavioural strategies (e.g., exposure, healthy habits), as well as features for tracking progress, setting goals, and sharing information.
- Discussion on the ways that digital technology can enhance one’s clinical practice, which includes increasing the cost-effectiveness and accessibility of treatment; providing supplemental and easily accessible information; reinforcing tools/strategies; enhancing between session homework and goals; providing a secure and convenient means for clients to record and share information; and improving relapse prevention.
- Discussion on the ways that technology can improve client engagement, which includes providing clients with interactive and fun ways to learn/practice strategies and track progress; providing information and support between sessions; and making between session homework and goals easier to remember and more convenient to complete.
Learning objectives of the activity:
- Understand the emerging role of digital technology in psychological treatments
- Identify and be familiar with key digital resources utilizing CBT for anxiety developed by Anxiety Canada
- Describe specific ways that technology can enhance clinical practice
- Identify ways that technology can improve client engagement
Presenter: Dr. Kristin Buhr
Dr. Buhr is a Registered Psychologist and Director at the North Shore Stress and Anxiety Clinic (www.nssac.ca). She is a lead consultant for Anxiety Canada (www.anxietycanada.com), where she has developed numerous self-help resources for adults, parents, and teens coping with anxiety problems, including My Anxiety Plan (MAP), an on-line anxiety management course, and MindShift CBT, a comprehensive anxiety management app. Dr. Buhr specializes in the evidence-based treatment of anxiety and mood disorders in adolescents and adults, and regularly provides educational workshops on mental health issues. She is also the co-author of The Worry Workbook: CBT Skills to Overcome Worry and Anxiety by Facing the Fear of Uncertainty.