Using your senses
A simple mindfulness exercise is to notice what you are experiencing right now through any or all of your five senses: sound, sight, touch, taste, and smell.
Take a few slow breaths and ask yourself:
- What are three things I can hear? (for example, my baby’s breath, the clock on the wall, music in the next room)
- What are three things I can see? (for example, my baby, a receiving blanket, a red and orange toy)
- What are three things I can feel? (for example, my baby’s soft skin, the chair under me, the floor under my feet)
- What are three things that I can smell?(for example, the new baby smell, flowers in the room, the soap on my hands)
- What are three things I can taste? (for example, my tea, a cracker, smooth cheese)
Think of these answers to yourself slowly, one sense at a time. It is impossible to do this exercise and not be mindful in the present moment.