Skip to content
- Get 9.5 hours of sleep a night
- Go to bed and wake up at the same time each day (and don’t sleep in for more than an hour past your regular wake up time on the weekends)
- Don’t worry in bed – get up and do something boring instead. Keep lights dim and go back to bed when you start to feel sleepy
- Create a relaxing bedtime routine. For example, have a warm bath or shower, put on your pjs, have a light snack, put on some calming music, and then read a book.
- Avoid TV/screens, caffeine, alcohol, and smoking before bed
- Cut back on sugar
- Avoid caffeine, or have a small amount in the morning only (including coffee, tea, chocolate, and pop)
- Eat 6 small meals a day or three meals and two snacks
- Drink 6 – 8 glasses of water a day
- Eat colourfully and a wide variety of foods. Aim to get some fruits and veggies every day
- Find something you love to do and do it!
- Exercise 30 to 60 minutes a day
- Try to get some aerobic, strength, and flexibility training
- Don’t exercise in the two hours before you go to bed
- Try to set realistic, concrete and specific exercise goals. Get an exercise buddy!
- Reduce your caffeine intake
- Quit smoking to decrease anxiety
- Don’t use drugs and alcohol to cope with anxiety